1st wedding anniversary

Hello to my new blog, this time in English.

Greg’s and my first wedding anniversary is coming up soon. Yes, we got married December 15th in 2017, crazy, huh. I can’t believe it’s been one year. On that occasion, I decided to write about our special day.

So, I remember when Greg’s parents, Elneeta and Harvey, arrived in Switzerland the day before the wedding. We had dinner at my parents together with all my siblings and my grandma.  Then, my sister stayed with me at my apartment for the night while Greg and his parents slept at my parents. In the morning I got up early and went to get some breakfast at the groceries next door. When I got back, my stylist was already waiting for me. First, she did my make-up and hair while my sister helped me eat breakfast. Afterwards, it was my sisters turn to get her make-up and hair done. As we were sitting in my apartment, it slowly and softly started snowing. Then, I took my beautiful, long-sleeved, laced bridal dress and put it on with a little help from my mom, who showed up just in time. According to the tradition, I had “something old”, “something new”, “something borrowed” and “something blue”. My pearl earrings were new and I had an old ring on that belonged to a grand-grandaunt of Greg’s. My pearl necklace was borrowed from one of my friends. We counted my garter as something blue (it had little shiny crystals on it). My two brothers picked up my friend, Raphi, from the airport and dropped her off at my apartment so the girls would be able to leave all together. I wasn’t feeling very nervous yet and the exam stress of the past few days were pretty much forgotten. We drove to the civil office in downtown Schaffhausen, where I was meeting a few other people downstairs of the old building. Martin, the photographer, took some photos before the big event started. As the doors opened, everyone went inside, except for me and my dad. Then, at last, he walked me inside. He was holding my arm on one side and I was holding the beautiful burgundy and white bouquet of flowers on the other side. As we walked in, everyone was standing and smiling at me. Although the biggest smile had definitely been from Greg. The ceremony included signing the marriage license. While signing that piece of paper, I suddenly realized that I hadn’t practiced the “Mansfield” signature (so yeah, that looked kind of shaky). We exchanged the rings and, of course, the kiss. We got a huge applause for that one. Afterwards, everyone went to congratulate us. I was so happy that the people closest to me made it. All of my family was there, David travelled here all the way from Amsterdam and Regina from Jericho, as well as Greg’s parents from America. The Ruppli family with the kids, Robin, Olivia, the ring bearer, and Niki were there. Also, four of my best friends from old school times, Mirjam, and new school times, June and Deborah. Raphi, my Austrian friend whom I met in Uganda made it too. So, in all there were twenty people witnessing us getting married, I felt so blessed. After a few group photos, we made our way to the Rhein river. A boat called “Albatros” was waiting there for us and we got on it after another group photo in the cold. The crew decorated the inside of the boat real nice in a wintery theme. As the boat set sail, we raised our glasses and my dad gave a toast. The view from out of the boat was absolutely stunning. We ate a delicious dinner, heard a few speeches, my grandma read a poem, the kids sang for us and my brother Manuel played the fun shoe game with us. Also, Greg and I danced the first time as Mr. and Mrs. Mansfield to Elton John's “Your Song”.  The boat drove up the river turned around and came back during the two hour reception. We were able to watch the sun set and it was already dark by the time we pulled back into the dock. Then, we all drove to my parent’s house to have dessert, three very delicious cakes were waiting for us. We talked and enjoyed the rest of our wedding day. The day passed by so fast, but I loved every moment of it. It was more than I could have hoped or wished for. A small and magical winter wedding.

So now, one year later, I'm living with Greg in Arizona. I’m happy to be his wife. He loves me so well and still makes me feel so special every day. He likes to surprise me and he understands me. Plus, he is a real gentleman and opens the car door for me. Jackpot! I never thought in my life that someone could love me so good. 

Thank you all for the support. I miss you guys lots.
Greg and I are off to California for the next few days.

Cheers,
Susie Q





Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Blog #26

Blog #2

Blog #8